Spring is almost here and so is the time that many of us think about shedding a bit of our extra winter insulation. And if you have been one of the many people that have put that on a back burner since March 2020, then the thought of losing a few pounds may seem a bit overwhelming to say the least.
My advise to you; Pick ONE change and STICK TO IT. Only once that change has become habit should you add on another habit and so on…
Not sure where to start?
Here are my TOP 10 WEIGHT LOSS TIPS:
1) Build Muscle. Resistance training causes your metabolism to kick into high gear for longer causing you to burn more calories in the long run.
2) Prioritize Protein, Fibre and Fat on your plate. Across the board, experts agree that eating enough protein is a crucial nutrient for weight loss, not only because it keeps you feeling satiated but because your body burns more calories metabolizing this macronutrient than it does for carbs. The fibre and fat just add to the satiety and keep you full for hours.
3) Don’t drink your calories. Water, unsweetened tea, flavored seltzer—these are the kinds of beverages that experts advise focusing on when you want to trim down. Alcoholic drinks, juices, and sugary coffee drinks can totally sabotage your weight loss efforts without even contributing many nutrients or helping you feel full.
4) Move More (NEAT). NEAT, or non exercise activity thermogenesis is energy expended, other than during exercise. For example, standing, puttering, foot shaking etc. Studies have found that obesity is highly correlated to low NEAT, and so a simple solution is to move more during your day. Instead of sitting, stand. Instead of lying down, sit. It all makes a difference.
5) Plan Your Meals in Advance. Simply put…we tend to make better decisions when we don’t make them in the moment, plan out your meals and snacks as much as possible. Then stick to the plan.
6) Journal (Focus on healthy habits, not numbers on a scale). A journal can give you an amazingly clear picture of your eating habits – especially if you include more than what is on your plate. Stress and mood and state of mind can have a big impact on what we eat so be sure to include when you are eating, how you are feeling when you are eating and how you felt afterwards.
7) Have an accountability buddy. Sharing your goals with a friend, family member, doctor, Personal Trainer or even in a journal (see above!) can help hold you accountable—thus increasing the odds that you stick with your plan.
8) Mindful eating. The more aware you are during the experience of eating a meal, the more likely you are to pick up on those cues that you’re full, thus preventing you from overeating. That makes mindfulness an indispensable strategy for weight loss. Taking the time to put your utensil down in between bites of food to slow down the whole experience.
9) Get your steps in. Walking is a free, simple, and low-impact exercise that can bring along many benefits when engaged in daily. Among these are increased longevity, weight loss, improved muscular endurance, and prevention of many ailments.
10) Reduce Stress, Increase Sleep. It’s now generally accepted by all health professionals that stress and lack of sleep are direct contributors to poor health and excess weight. Aim to get 7-9 hours of sleep and reduce your stress levels if you are serious about achieving a healthy weight and life.
Need help? Let us know! We love you no matter what your size but if you aren’t happy, then either are we.
Related Post: The Magical Trifecta for Reducing Hunger and Improving Satiety