I was reading an article with this same title on it, “How to Be Harder to Kill” but this one was written by a special operator Captain in the US Army. Interestingly for him, being harder to kill came down to one main thing, being as strong as he can. His next two objectives were cardio and mobility.
Based on his chosen career, this makes a lot of sense.
I’m guessing that none of you reading this are special ops agents, but this logic still holds true for you. if you are physically strong, and your heart is healthy, and you are unlikely to trip and fall your chances of living a longer life than the person who isn’t any of those things is drastically increased. So if you want to be harder to kill, or in other words, live a long and healthy life, make sure you lift heavy weights, you continue to challenge your heart and your work on your mobility on a regular basis.
But what about communicable disease? Do they care how much you can bench press? No, but interestingly enough, there is crossover on how to make sure you don’t die of a disease you catch. Make yourself a stronger fighter against it.
First off, your best bet is to not catch it in the first place of course. So in our present day world, that means washing hands, wearing masks and keeping distance.
But should you be unlucky enough to catch COVID your first line of defense is to have chosen a healthy lifestyle.
Every part of your body, including your immune system functions better when it is protected from environmental assaults and bolstered by healthy living strategies such as:
- Don’t smoke
- Eat a diet high in healthy protein, fruits and vegetables (micronutrient deficiencies alter immune response)
- Exercise regularly (every bout of exercise mobilizes millions of immune cells)
- Get enough quality sleep (consistent sleep strengthens the immune system)
- Maintain a healthy weight (obesity is correlated to impaired immune function)
- If you drink alcohol, drink only in moderation (high alcohol consumption (14 per week) suppresses the immune system)
- Minimize stress
- Get vaccinated
If you need coaching in the exercise or nutrition category please give us a call, we want to help! Unfortunately we aren’t there for the bed time routine so that one you may need to take care of on your own… 🙂