If you looking for a high protein, low carb recipe, that is quick, comforting and healthy, then this is it. These high protein bowls can be served over cauliflower rice for a low carb version or, regular rice if that’s the way you roll. A little cheese on top is quite decadent but not necessary. I am loving the simplicity of this recipe and I hope you do too!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups chopped bell pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
- shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese to taste
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and saute 2 minutes then add in bell peppers, until softened. Remove from the skillet and place on a side plate.
- Add turkey to the skillet in large crumbles, season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook and break up turkey, until almost fully cooked through, then add garlic, chili powder, cumin and red pepper flakes.
- Cook turkey through then stir in tomatoes, tomato paste and pepper mixture and warm through, about 1 minute. Stir in parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Plate over cauliflower or regular rice, top with cheddar or mozzarella cheese if using!