The 12-3-2-1-0 sleep rule is designed as an easy-to-remember formula to provide structure to your bedtime routine and implement some positive sleep hygiene habits. This particular rule is a favorite of sleep experts, and pops up on social media on a fairly regular basis, to enthusiastic reception from people seeking simple ways to learn how to sleep better.
The 12-3-2-1-0 sleep rule is made up of five separate steps. Here’s a quick rundown.
- 12 hours before bedtime – no more caffeine
- 3 hours before bedtime – no more alcohol or food
- 2 hours before bedtime – no more work
- 1 hour before bedtime – no more screen time
- 0 times you hit the snooze button in the morning
There are of course other things you can do to ensure a good nights sleep such as exercising for 30 minutes a day, sticking to a sleep schedule or ensuring your room is cool and your bed is comfortable.