This recipe is so simple, but I am officially hooked. Smoothie bowls are:
This makes the perfect breakfast or snack when you’re in a rush but need something substantial (and want something pretty). It’s especially great for the summer months when we’re all looking for another way to cool down and keep time in the kitchen to a minimum. The trick is to have a good blender so it is super creamy and then add your toppings to make it look appealing!
- 1 cup frozen berries
- 1 small ripe banana (sliced and frozen)
- 1 scoop plain or flavoured protein powder (chocolate, strawberry or vanilla are delicious)
- Enough water to make it creamy like soft serve, not watery like a smoothie
OPTIONAL ADD INS
- 1/2 small avocado (this adds a creamy deliciousness and added healthy fats)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup kefir (this adds those all important probiotics)
- handful of spinach (this adds a beautiful green colour and of course some vitamins and minerals)
- 1/2 cup frozen cauliflower (this adds to the creaminess, fibre and vitamins and minerals)
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder (this is obvious! it makes it chocolatey!)
- 1 Tbsp shredded unsweetened dried coconut
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- a small serving of a nut of choice
- A drizzle of nut butter
- A smattering of fresh berries
- Add frozen berries and banana to a blender and blend on low until small bits remain.
- Add a bit of liquid of choice, your optional add ins and protein powder, and blend on low again, scraping down sides as needed, until the mixture reaches a soft serve consistency.
- Scoop into 1-2 serving bowls and top with desired toppings. I prefer hemp or pumpkin seeds and some fresh fruit slices personally!