- 1 red onion , cut into wedges
- 2 zucchini , thickly sliced
- 1 red pepper , seeded and cut into large chunks
- 1 pint baby tomatoes , halved
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- juice of half lemon
- 1 clove of garlic minced (optional)
- 3+ tbsp chopped fresh mixed herbs (such as chives, parsley and basil)
- 1 400g can chickpeas , drained
- 100g feta cheese , cut into cubes
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Put the onion, zucchini, pepper and tomatoes in a shallow roasting pan and season with black pepper. Drizzle with 2 tbsp of the olive oil and toss well. Roast for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through, until the vegetables are cooked and beginning to turn brown.
- Meanwhile, mix the lemon juice, garlic, chick peas, feta and remaining olive oil to make a dressing. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the herbs.
- When the vegetables are cooked, allow them to cool for 5 minutes, then tip into a bowl with the chickpeas, feta and dressing. Toss lightly before serving. Leftovers are delicious served cold.
Options: I have done this with all sorts of other vegetables like cabbage, Brussel sprouts or cauliflower. It is a great salad to get rid of any vegetables in your fridge that you need to use before they go bad. Also, if you aren’t a fan of raw garlic you can of course keep it out, or you could throw a couple of cloves in with your vegetables as they roast for a more subtle garlic flavour.