I love a good salad but in the winter months, it has to be hearty. None of those delicate green salads for me! I want warmth and sustenance and this warm winter salad is exactly that. The combination of roasted sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts with the toasted pecans is a winner in any dish, but add that to some beets and massaged (it has to be massaged!) kale and my taste buds are singing!
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- A bunch of brussel sprouts, trimmed and halved
- a bunch of kale, hard stems removed
- 4 cooked beets, cubed
- 1/2 cup toasted pecan nuts
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Combine the sweet potatoes, tbsp olive oil and pinch of salt and pepper on a baking tray. Give everything a good mix and roast for 25 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven and add the brussel sprouts, remaining oil and another pinch of salt and pepper. Mix again, then return to the oven and roast for another 20-30 minutes, or until everything is soft and golden.
- Meanwhile make the dressing by combining the ingredients, with another pinch of salt and pepper to taste of course! Place the kale in a large bowl and pour over half the dressing. Use your hands to massage the kale and dressing together until dark green and halved in size.
- Add the roasted vegetables, the beets and pecans. Stir to combine, then divide into bowls and enjoy!
NOTE: I don’t typically measure out my ingredients when it comes to cooking, especially in salads and so all the amounts are estimations. Start with what I have suggested and modify to make it work for you.
You can replace the pecans with pumpkin seeds for this one and for an added taste sensation try a sprinkling of crumbled feta cheese. So good!