You may know that I am a bit obsessed with protein. I am very conscious to have a good amount of it in each of my meals. But I also don’t like the idea that it always has to be from meat so experiment every once in a while with vegan proteins like pea protein, tempeh and tofu. My go to has always been a tofu stir fry which I love but I have never done much else. This week I decided to experiment with mashing my tofu, adding spices and frying it up. I have to say, it was a hit! Not only does tofu have a lot of protein, it is inexpensive and once you know how to spice it, tastes quite good! I hope you enjoy this tofu scramble that can be served for breakfast in place of eggs or can be added in a taco shell instead of ground beef for dinner!
- 8 ounces extra-firm tofu 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 red pepper (thinly sliced)
- 2 cups kale (de veined and loosely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (reduce amount for less salty sauce)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Water (to thin)
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- Pat tofu dry and roll in a clean, absorbent towel with something heavy on top, such as a cast-iron skillet, for 15 minutes.
- While tofu is draining, prepare sauce by adding dry spices to a small bowl and adding enough water to make a pourable sauce. Set aside.
- Prep veggies and warm a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil and the onion and red pepper. Season with a pinch each salt and pepper and stir. Cook until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Add kale, season with a bit more salt and pepper, and cover to steam for 2 minutes.
- In the meantime, unwrap tofu and use a fork to crumble into bite-sized pieces.
- Use a spatula to move the veggies to one side of the pan and add tofu. Sauté for 2 minutes, then add sauce, pouring it mostly over the tofu and a little over the veggies. Stir immediately, evenly distributing the sauce. Cook for another 5-7 minutes until tofu is slightly browned.
- This tastes amazing with some hashbrowns on the side, a few slices of avocado and a bit of salsa on top.