We are in the middle of a pandemic and people are to say the least, stressed out. We are being forced to close our businesses, work from home and for most people, the worst part is they have to stay at least 6 feet away from the people they love and care for.
This creates a bigger problem than most of us don’t even realize.
Do you know what hormone gets released when we touch someone we care about, when we hug someone?
Oxytocin. Some of you may know of it as our ‘feel good hormone’, but what you may not know is it’s also a powerful appetite suppressant!
Check out this study if you are interested in reading more about that.
So, if you have been wondering why you can’t stop eating, low oxytocin might be to blame!
Short of childbirth and breast feeding, hugging someone is the number one way to raise oxytocin…which breaks my heart a bit right now, since there aren’t many people, if any, we are allowed to hug right now.
But, all is not lost. If you have no one to hug, or at least no one you want to hug right now, here are 6 more ways that have been clinically proven through blood tests that in our socially isolated world we can still get that oxytocin rising.
6) Pet a dog. Again, in todays world, the dog has to be yours but if you have one. Pet ’em!
5) Use Social Media! Who knew we were doing something good for ourselves when we scrolled through other peoples lives. The key is, stay away from profiles that bring you down, that kinda defeats the purpose.
4) Soak in a hot tub. I get that…it is so relaxing and kinda like a warm watery hug.
3) Share a meal with someone. Eating moderately helps us bond with others. A glass of wine doesn’t hurt either! And just because you aren’t in the same household doesn’t mean you can’t make it happen. That is what apps like FaceTime, Zoom and WhatsApp are for!
2) Give a gift. Giving and receiving gifts is an act of love. The key to the giving is to not expect anything in return. Want to really raise your oxytocin? What if the gift was a dinner? You can order it and have it delivered to their door!
1) Use the “L” word. Tell those who are special to you that you love them. This doesn’t have to be a romantic partner, I tell my friends I love them all the time.
So with that in mind, I love you all! Stay safe, stay health and I look forward to hugging you on the other side!