This naturally gluten free, vegan and paleo friendly soup this will leave you satisfied and yet wanting more and more! It is absolutely delicious and with the toppings, leaves your taste buds dancing.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 (15-ounce) cans pumpkin purée
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- optional toppings: chopped fresh cilantro, toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds), sliced red onions, fresh lime juice
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the garlic and red curry paste, and stir to combine. Sauté for 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add vegetable stock and coconut milk, and stir to combine.
- Using a hand blender or a traditional blender, puree the soup until smooth. (If using a traditional blender, be careful because warm/hot liquids expand when heated. I would recommend pureeing the soup in two batches. Then return it to the stockpot.)
- Add the pumpkin puree, cumin, ginger, salt, and stir to combine. Continue cooking until the soup reaches a simmer. Then reduce heat to medium-low. Give the soup a taste, and add extra salt, pepper, and/or red curry paste if needed.
- Serve warm, sprinkled generously with your favourite toppings (I put all of them!). Or store in a sealed container and refrigerate up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.