Are you wondering what to do with all those turkey leftovers? This is one of my favourite soups to make after Thanksgiving. It is light and fresh and healthy, a welcoming change after the heavy meals of the weekend! Best of all, it is easy and delicious!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup diced leftover turkey
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 pinch sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Cook and stir onion and garlic in hot oil until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add carrots, celery, and red bell pepper; cook and stir until carrots begin to soften, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Pour stock into vegetable mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until flavors blend, about 20 minutes.
- Stir the cooked leftover turkey, lemon juice, and lemon zest into turkey stock mixture; simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Add spinach leaves, salt, and black pepper; simmer until spinach wilts and turns bright green, 1 to 2 minutes.