Not in the mood for your usual salad? Try this delicious winter salad for your next lunch, this is a really magical combination of flavours and it is loaded with nutrition!
- Two sweet potatoes, chopped into cubes
- about 4 cups of spinach
- 1/4 cup of toasted pumpkin seeds (pine nuts or pecans work as well!)
- Feta cheese to taste
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Toss sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread on baking tray, bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, flip, then bake for a further 7 – 10 minutes until golden but not mushy, then leave to cool.
- Toast pumpkin seeds (or pine nuts) in a dry skillet over medium heat until light golden and it smells nutty. Remove from skillet as soon as it’s ready. (alternatively spread on a baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted. Keep an eye on them, they burn easily!)
- Place Spinach in a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and a dash of salt and pepper to taste.
- Add pumpkin, just a bit of feta and pumpkin seeds, then GENTLY BRIEFLY toss just to disperse the feta. (If you toss vigorously, the potatoes will break apart as will the feta).
- Transfer to serving plate. Sprinkle over remaining feta and seeds.
Sorry, there are not exact measurements here but I tend to make my salads by sight, rather than by measuring. It’s so healthy and the ingredients are so good you can’t really go wrong!
If you want to play with the flavours a bit, try replacing the spinach with arugula or kale, and the potato can be replaced with roasted cauliflower or parsnips.